Golf’s new World Handicap System, which is designed to bring the game of golf under a single set of Rules for handicapping and provide a more consistent measure of players’ ability between different regions of the world, remains on track for implementation starting in 2020.
The new system will feature the following:
- Flexibility in formats of play
- A consistent handicap that is portable from course to course and country to country through worldwide use of the USGA Course and Slope Rating System, already successfully used in more than 80 countries
- An average-based calculation of a handicap, taken from the best eight out of the last 20 scores
- A calculation that considers the impact that abnormal course and weather conditions might have on a player’s performance each day
- Daily handicap revisions, taking account of the course and weather conditions calculation
- A maximum handicap limit of 54.0, regardless of gender, to encourage more golfers to measure and track their performance to increase their enjoyment of the game
Check out these educational videos, highlighting some of the changes coming with the 2020 system.
World Handicap System – An Introduction
Minimum number of holes to obtain a Handicap Index and Maximum Handicap Index of 54.0
Basis of calculation of Handicap Index
Acceptability of scores for handicap purposes
Course Rating and Slope Rating
Calculation of a Playing Handicap
Maximum hole score for handicap purposes
Wales Golf completed a series of workshops in autumn 2018 on the 2020 World Handicap System. Every affiliated club in Wales had the opportunity to send representatives and will be using the information to go back and educate their membership on the key changes coming in to affect. If you want to view the presentation from the day please see the downloads section below for the presentation. (World Handicap System presentation is the 2nd section of presentation) For any questions please use the email address below.
For specific questions please use email@example.com
For additional information please check out the downloads below