Further Wales Golf Championships postponed or cancelled
April 15, 2020.
As Wales Golf continue to monitor the Covid-19 outbreak, all Championships & Events up to and including July 12th have been cancelled or postponed. In addition, all events requiring club qualification for National Finals have been cancelled for 2020.
“It is with regret that we have taken the steps to postpone and cancel more Championships in our schedule, but our primary focus has to be on the health and wellbeing of the public at this time,” explained Wales Golf Championship Manager David Wilson.
“We are working hard to preserve Championships where it is both safe to do so and in keeping with government guidelines.
“In instances where Championships have been declared as postponed, the Wales Golf Championship Team will be working to rearrange where possible, however due to the nature of the unpredictable situation details on these events will be issued at a later date.
“We would like to thank everyone involved for their understanding.”
The full list of postponed and cancelled Championships at this stage are as follows:
- Junior Tour event 1 – Mold 16th April Postponed
- Junior Tour event 2 – Milford Haven 19th April Postponed
- Ladies Open Stroke Play – Royal Porthcawl 1st – 3rd May Postponed
- Men’s Open Stroke Play – Southerndown 14th – 17th May Postponed
- Ladies Amateur Championship – Rhuddlan 23rd – 25th May Postponed
- Welsh Open Youths’ – Llandudno Maesdu 29th – 31st May Cancelled
- Junior Tour event 3 – Lakeside (Garthmyl) 6th June Postponed
- Welsh Seniors Championship – Aberdovey 9th – 11th June Cancelled
- Wales Golf Festival (Inc. JT event 4) – Parc 19th – 21st June Postponed
- Welsh Open Seniors’ – Ashburnham 24th – 26th June Cancelled
- R&A 9 Hole Championship 11th July Cancelled
- Junior Tour event 5 – Caernarvon 12th July Postponed
- Wales Golf Medal and Bowls 4th August Cancelled
- Centenary Greensomes – Rolls of Monmouth 9th September Cancelled
- Senior Greensomes – Rolls of Monmouth 10th September Cancelled
- Australian Spoons – Padeswood & Buckley 27th September Cancelled
Additional update for clubs
It is with regret that all Championships requiring club qualification rounds have been cancelled for 2020 due to the continuing Covid-19 epidemic. The following guidelines have been drawn to assist you in these circumstances.
Medal & Bowls Championship
All players eligible for the 2020 area finals will now be entitled to compete in the 2021 area final equivalent events. Any club qualifiers scheduled for 2020 should be cancelled, and in any instance where a qualifier has already been played in 2020, clubs should elect whether to carry these results forward into 2021 or declared the qualifier null and void, in the most equitable way deemed.
Fees collected on behalf of Wales Golf should be refunded to players or held at this time depending on the decisions made by the club in the previous paragraph.
Centenary & Senior Greensomes, Australian Spoons & 9 Hole Championship
In any instance where a club qualifier has been played in 2020, the club may elect to carry these results forward and use for the 2021 Championship or declare the qualifier null and void, in the most equitable way.
Fees collected on behalf of Wales Golf should be refunded to players or held at this time depending on the decisions made by the club in the previous paragraph
Further information can be found on our COVID-19 Hub