Wales Golf Logo WHS LOGIN

Local Authorities

How can my Local Authority help me?

Many parts of England have 2 tiers of local government:county councils and district, borough or city councils. In some parts of the country, there’s just 1 (unitary) tier of local government providing all the local services. The 3 main types are:unitary authorities in shire areas, London boroughs and metropolitan boroughs.

County councils are responsible for services across the whole of a county, like:education, transport, planning, fire and public safety, social care, libraries, waste management and trading standards. District, borough and city councils cover a smaller area than county councils. They’re usually responsible for services like:rubbish collection, recycling, Council Tax collections, housing and planning applications. In some parts of the country, 1 tier of local government provides all the local services listed above. In London and metropolitan areas some services, like fire, police and public transport, are provided through ‘joint authorities’ (in London by the Greater London Authority).

Parish, community and town councils operate at a level below district and borough councils and in some cases, unitary authorities. They’re elected and can help on a number of local issues, like providing: allotments, public clocks, bus shelters, community centres, play areas and play equipment, grants to help local organisations and consultation on neighbourhood planning. They also have the power to issue fixed penalty fines for things like: litter, graffiti, fly posting and dog offences.

Golf clubs can access the following support from their Local Authority;

Planning and Building Control

Tree preservation orders

Emergency response