The Golf Union of Wales will be undertaking player Assessment Days in North & South Wales in September 2016. Applications are being sought from players who have the ability and potential to be part of the GUW squads.
I should be grateful if you would circulate the information available here to any player(s) who have the potential to be part of the GUW coaching programme and to represent Wales in the future. Each player MUST complete a form; we will not accept group nominations.
The criteria to be invited to attend the GUW Assessment Days and be part of a GUW squad are: –
- Be eligible to play for Wales
- Open to golfers aged between 10 and 16 years of age as of 00.00hrs on 1st January 2017
- Competitive handicap and golfing CV relative to age, plus potential of player
- Ability and determination to play for Wales in the future
- A strong commitment and work ethic to reach your potential in golf
- Prepared to fully commit to the GUW Squad Programme on weekends and school holidays in 2016/17
- As an indication of the days involved, Academy and Regional Squads are circa 25 days and National circa 60 days.
Applications will be used to invite players to the assessment days from which squads will be selected for the GUW coaching programme for 2015/16. Below are the average age and handicap of the players currently in our squad system, this should act as a guide to the standard of player we are looking for;
National Male: Age 19 | Hcp +1.8
National Female: Age 17 | Hcp 1
Regional Male: Age 15 | Hcp 2.3
Regional Female: Age 14 | Hcp 7
Academy Male: Age 13 | Hcp 6
Nursery: Age 11 | Hcp 16
Players that have already been part of the GUW Squads for 2015/16 will be contacted directly, so do not need to complete an application form at this stage.
The deadline for receipt of nominations is no later than Tuesday 16th August 2016.